History of Augusta
In 1820, a man named Hamilton came down the White River in a canoe and stopped at the site of a Chickasaw Indian village. Appreciating the idyllic location, he took squatters rights, but about two years later sold his holding to Rollo Gray, who settled there with his family.
Other settlers followed, and in 1848, the town of Augusta (formerly "Chickasaw Crossing") - named for the niece of the founder, Thomas Hough - was established. Incorporation followed in 1861. Most of the families who settled in Augusta came from the eastern states and brought with them culture and breeding. Visitors remarked upon the beauty of the homes built in this wilderness settlement and often stayed to join in the building of the town.
The town's situation at a natural river landing brought prosperity with the coming of steamboats to the White River. Boats from Memphis hauling a wide variety of goods landed weekly at Augusta year round, and boats from New Orleans made regular stops there, too.
Business flourished, the population grew, and in 1863, Augusta became the county seat of Woodruff County. Though the town was almost completely destroyed during the Civil War, the citizens rebuilt, and Augusta enjoyed it's greatest time of prosperity during the 1870's when its population grew to one thousand.
The Woodruff County Historical Society:
Woodruff County Cemetery Books, Current, and Old issues of Rivers and Roads are now on sale at the Woodruff County Monitor Office.
Please call (870) 731-2263 for more information.
Roger Smith/ President
Kip Davis/ Vice President, (870) 731-9106, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shirley Thompson/ Secretary
Paula Barnett/ editor, (870) 731-2263, email@example.com
Gary Telford/ Historian/ Genealogist, firstname.lastname@example.org